Calendar of Events
League of Families presentation
Montgomery County Veterans
Chapter ride/pig roast
Veterans Day Parade
1:30PM - Stage at American Legion Post 9
Veterans Day Program
Henderson South Middle School
7:30am - breakfast
9:00am - program
2:00 pm - Board Meeting
3:30 pm - Membership Meeting
American Legion Post 9
Western Kentucky Veterans Center Christmas Visit
8:30am - staging at outlet mall
9:00am - ride to center
News & Announcements
New Meeting Day and Time
RTKY1 meetings will now take place on the second Saturday of every month at the American Legion Post 9 in Owensboro. The board meeting will begin at 2:00 pm, and the general membership meeting will begin at 3:30 pm.
RTKY1 has several important upcoming events that will require a lot of member participation.
* On Friday, September 19th, the League of Familieis will be giving a presentation for POW/MIA Day at the Shelton Memorial in Owensboro, Kentucky. The presentation begins at 5:00pm. Members should meet up at the American Legion.
* On Saturday, September 27th, RTKY1 will be having its annual poker run at Appleton Harley-Davidson, in Clarksville, TN. All proceeds will benefit the Montgomery Country Veterans Transportation Services Program. Registration begins at 10:00am. Members should arrive for set up at 9:00am.
* On Saturday, October 11th, RTKY1 will have its annual chapter social event. This year we will be having lunch at the Rough River Lodge and a campout at Carl and Carol's in Whitesville, Kentucky. Members should watch their emails for details on the event.
* On Saturday, November 8th, we will be having two Veterans Day events. The first will be the Owensboro Veterans Day parade. Members will stage at the American Legion at 1:30pm. The parade will begin at 3:45pm. The second event will be a flag raising at Appleton Harely-Davidson in Clarksville, TN. Members in our southern region should watch their emails for details.
* On Tuesday, November 11th, RTKY1 will be participating in the annual Veterans Day program at South Middle School in Henderson, KY. Breakfast starts at 7:30am. The veterans program begins at 9:00am. RTKY1 will also be presenting to some of the grades later in the morning.
* On Saturday, December 13th, RTKY1 will be having its annual Christmas visit to the Western Kentucky Veterans Center in Hanson, KY. Members will meet at the outlet mall at 8:30am and drive over to the center at 9:00am.
Meeting Date/Location Changes
Due to upcoming events, the following changes have been made to the meeting schedule:
* October - The October meeting will be a field meeting in Whitesville, Kentucky following our annual pig roast/camp out on 10/12.
* November - The November meeting has been moved back a week to 11/15 - same time and location.
Announcing New Fundraising Awards Program
RTKY1 is participating in a new fundraising program. Simply, click on the image below and sign up. When you shop online through the portal, you will receive a discount and RTKY1 will receive a donation.
Follow Us on Facebook
Rolling Thunder Kentucky Chapter 1 has a page on Facebook. Become a fan by going to http://www.facebook.com/rollingthunderky1. Stay tuned for new features of our page.
POW-MIA chair of honor memorial revealed in Braintree - Wicked Local Braintree
At Fort Campbell, the pain of 'POW/MIA' explained - Clarksville Leaf Chronicle
Oregon to recognize POW-MIA Recognition Day - Statesman Journal
POW/MIA: 1482 Airmen still missing - Air Force Link
Inland Empire Military Museum in San Bernardino to host POW/MIA ceremony - San Bernardino County Sun
Military's POW/MIA 'deserve to be buried with honor' - The Desert Sun
FHCC hosts POW/MIA remembrance ceremony - Suburban Life Publications
Letter: Remembering missing soldiers more important - The Republic
Cuomo Signs Buchwald's POW/MIA Flag Bill Into Law - The Daily Voice
Survey finds many LA veterans unemployed or earning poverty wages - 89.3 KPCC
How to Deploy an Effective Veterans Hiring Initiative - Corporate Counsel (registration)
Second chance court targets East TN veterans - WBIR-TV
Foundation helps scale up veterans programs - Sun Sentinel
How should military treat veterans with PTSD who lose control? - Stars and Stripes
TARLETON VFW donates $10K to Tarleton Military Veterans Services Center - Stephenville Empire-Tribune
USM, William Carey designated Military Friendly Schools - Hattiesburg American
Fact check: No cuts for military vets - USA TODAY
About 1000 People Show Up for Veterans Pot Giveaway - Military.com